Sunday, July 4, 2010

Meet My Meat Free Mondays Open Letter

I know the post title wasn't one of my best but it will have to do (haha).

Early in my reign I was able to write an open letter in support of Meat Free Mondays in the District.  The DC City Council passed the initiative.  So I wanted to post the letter I submitted (that was presented by Amber McDonald).

Its great to see so much change happening in my city...particularly healthy changes.  Hopefully what we do here in DC has a ripple affect that can make for a healthier nation.  And with it being 4th of July the best way to honor America's birthday is to make sure we're at our healthiest and most vibrant...so we can enjoy many more :-)

XOXO,
MacKenzie



In the process of preparing for Miss DC USA I did a lot of exercise and tried to diet like a madman.
I saw fast results at first eating tiny morsels of food, but that didn't work out well for me. With a hypoactive thyroid and insulin resistance my body rebelled against my drastic measures.  In a mass revolt, unlike any seen since the America rose up against the British.
So there I was a month and a half out from the pageant, killing myself in the gym and in tears because I was hungry, irritable, and not seeing results. It was at a time when I hit a low point in fighting my body that I know I had to make a change...a lifestyle change.
I had toyed with the idea of becoming a vegan for quite some time. But I was convinced there was no way I could do it, and that I wouldn't have anything to eat. Thankfully like an answer from above, on a trip to the bookstore perusing the aisles I came across Alicia Silverstone's new book The Kind Diet
So I dove head first in to the vegan pool, intending to flirt with a truly healthy lifestyle...and that's saying a lot from a woman who loves cheese, bison steaks, and salmon. But honestly I'm glad I became a vegan, because now I‘m in love with my healthy life.
Even in the month out from the pageant I found myself feeling much better, not painfully bloated after I ate, not ready to rip off the head of the nearest person (my parents like that one), and I just felt all around better. Even though when I hit the Miss DC USA stage I wasn't where I wanted to be for the first time in a long time I felt comfortable and beautiful in my own skin.
I also made the change largely due to my uncle's cancer diagnosis. I have a grandmother in the early stages of dementia, my grandfather lost both legs to diabetes and eventually died of heart complications, and health issues run through my family. So with my decision to go vegan, aside from losing weight, I wanted to end the health issues with preventive issues now in the choices I make. I also felt that if I did become Miss DC USA I didn't want to be a hypocritical role model. I knew I couldn't stand in front of kids, talking to them about making healthy choices, and I myself was making destructive eating decisions that was throwing my already damaged metabolism out of whack. I would have felt awful telling them right from wrong when I could barely take care of myself.
I'm not a perfect vegan...but I'm still doing better than I thought and I'm loving every day as a vegan thus far.
I’m an advocate of Meat Free Mondays in the District because the personal journey I took.  In only a few meals of mindful eating, and truly feeding my body I got more in tune with myself and more thoughtful about what goes on my plate.
I think if others had the opportunity to spend a day making informed eating decisions, paying attention to the food choices they make, and eating nourishing almost guiltless meals.  The impact on the person and the planet in just one meat free day would be exponential.
I would be proud to see such an initiative happen in my hometown.  Washington DC is the city that the rest of the nation looks to as a catalyst for change and action.  To have such a health initiative happen in the city that I love the most would mean so much to me…it would further solidify why I’m a proud Washingtonian.
I spur others to support Meat Free Mondays, and I am a proud supporter of the initiative.

Love and Loyally,

MacKenzie Green
Miss District of Columbia USA 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment