Monday, April 30, 2012

Leggo my Eggo...a.k.a. my not so decadent recipe to make you feel you're being bad

I have always been a picky eater so it may come as a shock to people that I learned about the magic of pancakes in high school and the joy of waffles in college.

(This beautiful shining temple was where I had my first waffle...obviously not this exact one though)

So obviously when you are preparing for a pageant, just trying to stay healthy, or want to look good come swimsuit season, I've got a great recipe that you will love, or maybe you won't...if that's the case you should probably just turn away now.

I introduce the incomparable, filling, and deceptively delicious *trumpet blare* PROTEIN PANCAKES!!!! (imagine me doing awesome Kermit the Frog waving celebration arms)

1 egg white
1 Tbsp psyllium husk or ground flax-seeds (it doesn't matter which, but I personally love psyllium husk)
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (or use chocolate, it doesn't matter...I use Promasil's vanilla whey)
1/3 cup of water

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and wisk together like regular pancake batter.
Spray a pan with PAM, or any other type of cooking spray.
Keep your pan at medium heat.
And get to making your pancakes.
Oh and then chow down on the delicious protein meal that makes you feel like you're being so bad.
20120419-001535.jpg
(This is not a picture of my own pancakes, its courtesy of Blogilates, because my food styling is awful)
NUTRITIONAL INFO:
Calories 125
Total Fat 1.1g
Saturated Fat 0.8g
Cholesterol 10mg
Total Carbs 4.2g
Fiber 4g
Sugar 0.2g
Protein 24

I promise you this is a total diet rut buster, it can be made gluten free, it's low carb, it's high protein, high fiber, low sugar...it's basically perfect.

Feel free to add fresh berries to the top if you want, maple syrup if you want to be indulgent and use the calories there, or maybe you want to go with a sugar free option.  Top with greek yogurt with a little truvia, or even add 2 tablespoons of sweet potato puree to the batter...whatever floats your boat.  Just have fun with your food, it's not that serious.

And let me leave you with one final thought if you are wondering if you want to eat this recipe...

LOOK AT THOSE ABS!!! HOLY SIX PACK BATMAN!!!
If the only thing standing between me and killer abs are cutting out my favorite recipes and replacing them with some smarter alternatives, I'm all for it.

If you try the recipe leave a post and tell me how it goes, or send a picture of your creation.

XOXO,
MacKenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment