Saturday, April 28, 2012

Major Noms

So I promised myself (and the people I presume read my blog) that I would be more consistent with my blogging...
Now that I've gotten that out of the way, on to today's post...

(I used a ton of ellipses in just the two first lines, this is clearly going to be one heck of a post)
I am absolutely in love with the blog pure2raw. It's written by two women, twins, health gurus, general all around amazing women with an inspiring blog.  They recently did a post dedicated to their "diet," and what they're personal philosophy on food is. And I was super inspired by that particular post and thought I would do my own version:

People often want to know what a beauty queen, marathon runner, triathlete, gym rat, and just busy person eats to stay healthy and fit, or maybe people don't want to know and I'm just addressing my own personal musings, but who really knows.

First and foremost, I am in no way a nutritional guru like the P2R girls, but I do know what I'm doing.  Like Malcolm Gladwell  says you need 10,000 hours to be an expert at something, and after years of swim coaches, athletic trainers, nutritionists, sports nutritionists, and research of my own, I know a lot.

About a year and a half ago, or maybe two years, when I was the reigning Miss DC USA I was a vegan.  Being a vegan was fantastic and I learned so much about nutrition and farm to table eating.  Then around the time I was preparing for my 2nd marathon (which was after my reign and my college graduation), I noticed I was craving eggs.  It was at that moment I realized what the ideal diet was for me.

I LISTEN TO WHAT MY BODY WANTS.

So I don't know whether I'm a vegan, pesceterian, vegetarian, locally grown eater, or whatever.  All I know is that I listen to the signals my body gives me on what it's craving.
Now does that mean that I chow down on a large deep dish pizza because my soul tells me that's the nurturing it needs... ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Are you insane, of course part of me wants that, but I know better.  Besides diabetes runs in my family, and I am battling PCOS, so something like that can shoot my blood sugar through the roof, instantly turn to fat, and have my stomach in knots.
What I mean by listening to my body is that I just go with it.  There are days I wake up and all I want are raw vegan foods, there are moments where my day naturally pans out to be more plant based.  Then there are other days where all I want are green smoothies, or salmon as every meal.
As I prepare for Miss DC I will be sharing recipes, typical eating days, and everything else related to my preparation (never fear a style post will come soon), but I wanted to get this post out of the way so you will know where I stand nutritionally.

So I urge you dear reader (I use the singular because I just assume I'm the only person that reads this, for my own narcissistic cathartic experience [I felt instantly smarter typing that sentence, I mean look at all those SAT words]), that you find your own ideal eating.  Go with what's right for your body, lifestyle, goals, whatever.  You do not have to follow one particular plan or another.  Your body is unique, and the fuel it needs is going to be very specific to your needs.

Hopefully I offered some help like the Pure2Raw girls did for me...if not, bear with me, there's a lot more in store on this blog.

XOXO,
MacKenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment