Sunday, February 14, 2010

If you don't stand for something...you'll fall for everything

I know it has been quite a while since I posted to my blog, and I apologize. Things have been a little nutty juggling school, my station manager duties, and everything else I do on campus in addition to Miss DC USA.

This semester I am taking former Health and Human Services Secretary, and University of Miami president, Donna Shalala's political science class. The class is, The Politics of Health Care Reform. Its definitely and honor, and a privilege, to take a class on health care from the longest running HHS secretary.

What makes the class especially great for me is its extremely relevant to my platform and a major area of concern. We recently covered Medicaid and CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program). My platform is health and wellness for children and adolescence in low income areas.

To even begin to try and tackle what is wrong with the American health care system would take more time than I have to type, and you have to read. But what I do want to address is why my platform is important to me.

People constantly talk about making things better for the next generation. However the "next generation" is suffering from more problems due to lack of exercise and improper eating. The areas and people that are being hit the hardest are lower income families. These kids are growing up in homes that are struggling to get by. Add in the economic strains and you have parents that are doing what they can.

When they are faced with the choice of a value meal or a trip to a farmers market...the value meal wins out. The same selection goes for their kids if they are the one's taking care of the household while their parent(s) works multiple jobs.

One thing I have learned from Dr. Shalala is that economic issues, such as the recession, and health care coverage are correlating issues. The less money, the higher premiums go, and the fewer families that receive coverage. So for the parent who's child has developed diabetes, or needs gastric bypass at such a young age...the choices are very few. The cost of medication is through the roof, the surgery won't be covered by the insurance company...and preexisting conditions can jeopardize a child's insurance coverage in the future.

The children of the working poor should not be punished. We as Americans should be helping one another. And the first step is to make some kind of dent in the health care dilemma. We need to educate ourselves on the issues, and potential resolutions. I feel empowered and thankful that I am getting that opportunity. I sat down with Dr. Shalala last week and got her opinion on how to get more involved and organizations to align with. We need to make our voices heard and talk to our congressmen and women. We need to make it clear to them the faces and lives that are attached to this issue.

We as Americans and embedded with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...but if lives are being jeopardized we should all take heed. There is no reason someone, and especially a child, should not receive health care.

As I continue to learn more, and help with my platform I want to share it with those that are following my journey.

I would be a sorry excuse of a titleholder if I did not take the opportunity I have been blessed with to make some kind of change, and especially for the generation that may be looking up to me.

XOXO,
MacKenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment