Friday, February 21, 2014

Solidcore...or how to feel like you've done 1,000 situps in under an hour

I am a sucker for a boutique fitness club.

If you follow my Instagram you know I am hopelessly devoted to SoulCycle.  When I was an MBA Fellow at UCLA I would revel in weeks were I rode coast-to-coast, in NYC at one part of the week and LA during the weekend.  I had an affair with Barre3 in Georgetown for quite some time, and I still longingly try to fit it in my schedule.  I dabble in ZenGo.  I even became a spin instructor at a boutique spin studio in Shaw (OffRoad Indoor Cycling) so I could get someone else hooked to my habit.

Because of my obsession, I love DC Fit Crasher.  I think she has an awesome blog that tells you about all of the different workouts in DC.  But she tells you honestly, like a good girlfriend, what the places are all about.  She doesn't lie if they're awful, and you know she's being honest when she says they're good.  So a little while back when I saw her post about Solidcore, I was curious to check it out.  But I drug my heels about signing up for a class.  However, I would constantly see friends post about classes, and sweat soaked instagram pictures of friends who looked partially in shock.

I come from a super athletic background, so hard workouts are my middle name.  I'm always wishing for something difficult and challenging, because keep in mind I can still deadliest 200 lbs on a bad day...be careful what you wish for...

Holy Mother! Solidcore is no joke.

I have never had a workout challenge me so quickly.  There's no easing in to the pain, you are immersed in it immediately.  And Anne Mahlum, the owner, taught my class, and she did not let a single person in that class go easy on themselves.

I was naive when I first walked in, because Solidcore uses mega-reformers.  I have over a decade of Pilates reformer experience, so I just knew this would be cake.  If you're like me, and you want to try Solidcore, leave your preconceived notions at the door, and be ready to work your buns off.  You will feel muscles burning, and twitching you had forgotten about.  And I'm not exaggerating when I say its a challenge.

Here's a description on the website of Solidcore:
"We're thrilled to introduce DC to Lagree Fitness. started in LA in 2001, there are over 130 studios globally. "The Lagree Fitness Method" uses slow and conrolled full-body movements wtih constant tension to work your muscle fibers to failure, forcing them to rebuild a more sculpted, stronger and solid you. The experience is a high-energy, small-group training class done on the patented MegaFormer, which is described as a cross between a Pilates reformer and Total Body Gym. You will be amazed by this workout and its results - guaranteed."

Solidcore is definitely the best low impact, high intensity workout I've ever done.  And feel free to check out this link to see a video of how they get down.





Solidcore is:
[solidcore] is a 50-minute, intense total-body workout done on the patented MegaFormer that uses slow and controlled movements with constant tension to work your slow-twitch muscle fibers to failure...yes, failure. This workout is unlike anything you've ever done and we speak from first-hand experience when we tell you that the results are amazing. Not only do you burn an average of 600 calories per class, but for the next 20-24 hours after class, your metabolism is increased so your body can repair the muscles.
[solidcore] can accommodate all fitness levels and your certified coach is extremely skilled at managing different fitness levels in class. This is the only workout we have found that gives you all the intesnity you could ask for (and more), without risk for damage to your joints or muscles.
With hundreds of moves and resistance options that varies from 8 to 150 pounds, every class is different so you will never get bored. Additionally, because of the versatility of the exercises and the tension, your body won't plateau, which happens often with other workouts. After class, you will want to slap us, but then you'll want to hug us....with your toned arms and tight abs.

I hope if you are ever in DC, or leave here now, you'll give a class a try, and leave a comment if you do...I'd love to hear what you thought of it.  And for all my b school hopefuls, and potential pageant girls remember...endorphins keep you happy, and happy people win crowns and don't through their GMAT/GRE books across the room.


XOXO,

MacKenzie

P.s. I'm going to a 6am Solidcore class tomorrow...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment