Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Very Verbose Vocabulary

Don Baker was the first person I really worked with on my road to Miss DC USA in '09.  He was the first real constant coach I had at the beginning of my journey.

For those not well versed in pageant conventions, Don Baker is a mainstay in interview coaching for pageant girls.  If you've ever watched Miss USA and watched a young woman give a particularly spacey interview answer...she WAS NOT likely coached by Don Baker.

The zenith of what I learned from Don Baker centered around vocabulary and reading.  He always emphasized the importance of building ones vocabulary.  Having a sizable vocabulary not only gives you confidence, but it also puts a light in your eyes that says you are engaging and excited to contribute to conversations.

Fast forward several years to now, I'm studying for the GRE (don't worry, eventually I'll post about how I decided on the GRE over the GMAT...because I know a lot of b school applicants struggle with this decision), and Don Baker's tips still ring true to preparing for the test and for subsequent interviews and interactions.

...to be honest there are a plethora of tips I garnered from pageantry that apply to my b school preparation.

I'm sure for most studying and constantly finding something to read can be quite boring, but I've always had a voracious appetite to learn.  I think it's a result of watching Beauty and the Beast one to many times...it took my breathe away to see Belle walk in to that beautiful library.  I even begged my mother for encyclopedias and bookcases so I could start my own library just like in the movie.

If you are studying for the GRE, preparing for a pageant, or just looking to better yourself, there are some great resources.

For starters, READ! If you're like me and you constantly read magazines, or play games on your phone when you are out or bored, download Oyster. It's an amazing app, that's basically Netflix for books.  You get a wealth of books and topics on your phone.  Right now I'm obsessed with nonfiction toms, and anything about Whitey Bulger, so Black Mass is my go to when I'm getting my hair done or waiting for a meeting to begin.

I am a huge fan of Ryan Holiday. He is an amazing writer, and also has the best monthly reading lists.  His philosophy that you have to read to lead is wonderful, and he challenges people to read above themselves...trust me reading Meditations of Marcus Aurelius isn't easy, but it's so worth it.  The source notes that I have used from his suggestions have taken my part time speech writing to another level.  Check out his blog and his Thought Catalog contributions, you won't regret it.

Also, I'm using Manhattan GRE Prep to get ready for my May test, and their blog is superb.  You would be amazed at how many GRE caliber vocal words are in Harry Potter and the Sound of Music.

Hopefully I've piqued your interest at pursuing a more loquacious vocabulary, and spurred you to pick up more books in favor of US Weekly (but the occasional crack magazine is ok too).  To take a thought from the great Cher Horowitz from Clueless, we can't just improve our bodies we have to work on our minds too.

XOXO,
MacKenzie

2 comments:

  1. Is that a paid link to Manhattan Prep? Why the tracking code?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony,
      It's not a paid link, but once you go on the site you can register for free to take a CAT test.
      I checked the link and it opened, hopefully you find the resource useful if you're studying for the GRE also.

      Delete