Monday, September 15, 2014

Fashion Hunting

I love clothes, but I adore fashion.

It wasn't always that way, but when I fell in love, I fell hard.

There's nothing that gets me more excited than when Target announces a designer collaboration.  It's the perfect mix of high/low fashion, meets hunting, and hand to hand combat (when you get to the store).

My first Target designer piece was a Cinderella blue Rodarte dress.  I never wore it, and it sat in my closet for 4 years, before I reluctantly gave it away to charity when I moved out of my Miami apartment. 



Never fear, I still have the yellow lace sweater from that collection, I wore it constantly to class.

I took a brief break from fashion hunting, except for the moment when I made an early morning trip to pick up a Zac Posen piece.

But things got real in August 2011.  It was a day that will forever be seared in my mind.  My mom and I looked at each other that morning and figured we'd stop by Target after church to see if they had any pieces from the Missoni collection laying about.  We legit felt like we'd been sucker punched.  We had no idea that everyone would descend on the store like locusts.  So from that point on we had a game plan.

When Jason Wu dropped we stood out side in the frigid February air to be the first in the store.  However, we learned an awesome tip from a girl in line.  She had shopped for pieces online that morning, and was supplementing her purchases in store for anything she'd missed. 

A few months later, I requested an insane amount of Christmas gifts come from the CFDA and Neiman Marcus collection for Target...my puppies have designer dog bowls thanks to that collection.  I've worn the Lela Rose dress from that collection more times than I can count, and I love it more every time.

The Prabal Gurung spring collection in 2013 is one of my personal faves.  The floral blazer from that collection is surprisingly versatile.  And the sweatshirts from that collection are some of my best high style add-ons when I'm leaving the gym and need a sweatshirt to add.


Boom! Phillip Lim's collaboration is a wardrobe staple.  I constantly use the leopard print bag from that collection, and the graphic prints are out of this world. There's something exciting about high/low style, and comic book inspiration.  That was also the
the first collection where we (my mom and I), used the web first technique.  Now this is tricky because you have to be up at midnight, and wait between midnight at 3am for something to happen.  I've also learned, trust twitter.  There are some tech savvy fashionists out there, and they know all the tips and tricks for getting purchase links early.
This is also the collection where my mom swears she was elbowed at the door and hit over the head while trying to run/speed walk to get a yellow purse.

Peter Pilotto started out this year's designer collections, and I'm proud to say I got every picture of what I wanted.

Another great tip, don't worry about sizes.  I always purchase my designer Target pieces 1-2 sizes larger and head straight to my tailor (p.s. ladies, get a tailor, they're a godsend).  He tailors each piece within an inch of its life, and the tailoring is what makes it look even more expensive.

Yesterday was an epic hunt for Altuzarra.  I was up at midnight parked in front of my computer, it wasn't until 2:27am that links started popping up on Twitter.  I'm proud to say I got every single piece I wanted, and then some.

My alarm needed to be chic to match the occasion, a sample of the crowd waiting outside the store at 7:30am, and the suit I was hunting for the moment I saw it in the lookbook.


I will post a review of the items when my delivery comes in later this week, but my mom got the Crane sweater in store, and it is just sumptuous.  Thankfully my mom didn't get any elbows to the rib, or shoved, but we make no promises for the next designer collaboration.

Happy Fashion Hunting!

XOXO,
MacKenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment