Saturday, September 6, 2014

Soul DC

If you follow my Instagram (@MacKenzieAGreen), you may have noticed I have a bit of an obsession...Soul Cycle!

I took my first class over 2 years ago.  My parents and I had just gotten our apartment in NYC, and on a walk around the neighborhood I discovered a Soulcycle near by at E83rd.  I figured anything good enough for Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper was a must try.

I would like to say I enjoyed my first class, but I didn't enjoy it...I became obsessed.  I was sweating like someone was pouring water over my head, and crying like a baby.  There were disco balls, black lights, and lots of positive affirmations.  I took as many classes as I could that week.  And when I went to LA 2 weeks later for my UCLA Riordan Fellows interview (I even roped my lovely Miss AZ Brittney Bell in to going with me), I took a Soulcycle class to get my confidence up and nerves out.

Well you can imagine my elation when I heard Soul was coming to DC a year ago.  Ever since my beloved studio came to town I've been the happiest girl in the world.

My doctor's office was near the studio, so I used to stalk the construction site whenever I went to the endocrinologist


 I have been in heaven since my first Soul DC.  It's as exhausting, wonderful, emotional, and cathartic for me as I remember.  If you know someone who's done Soul, they probably sound like a cult member.  For someone as Type A as me, it's refreshing to know that I have a place where I can go, and let myself be free.  I don't get caught up in how I'm doing compared to anyone, I dedicate my ride to myself, and just LET IT GO!
The finished product...my sanctuary

Garrett is my Soul spirit animal, and anyone that plays a Britney/Iggy mashup deserves a shoutout

What's not to love about Kathleen, she's killer and aspirational!
I've had a particularly hard past few months professionally, and at times I felt like I was just getting kicked in the teeth.  But there was a moment on the bike in Kathleen's class, where I just let it all out.  I cried like I hadn't in a while.  And because the room was dark no one had to know I was sweaty and weepy.

I could go on for hours about how wonderful Soulcycle is, but you should try it yourself.  And don't say I didn't warn you when class is over and you want to sign up right away, and buy every bit of merchandise they have.

https://www.soul-cycle.com/

Classes are expensive, but believe me when I say, I'm a cheapskate, and I think it's worth every penny.

Maybe if you tap it back in a Rooster class, or Soul Survivor on Saturday, we'll be on a bike next to each other.

XOXO,
MacKenzie



No comments:

Post a Comment